- This event has passed.
Writing Workshop: No More BS!
July 23, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Learn to write without jargon in this fast-paced workshop. Josh Bernoff, nationally recogninized author, leads you through the steps of creating more compelling, effective written materials by eliminating the BS we all dread:
BS is any form of communication that does not communicate accurately and clearly. This includes any of the following (regrettably, this is not a complete list):
- outright lies
- words intended to confuse
- obfuscation: overuse of jargon or other constructions that hide meaning
- passive voice and other constructions that hide the actors in a piece of writing
- overuse of meaningless qualifying words (e.g., “generally,” “very,” “deeply”)
- opinions presented as statements of fact
- statistics presented without sources, out of context, or in a misleading way
- vague connections presented as significant, for example, use of “linked to”
- vague predictions presented as common knowledge, for example, use of “expected to”
- citing one or two instances of anything as if they represent a universal pattern
Candor is the opposite of bullshit. Candor is truth presented with integrity, plainly and without deception.
Learn to eliminate BS in your and others’ writing and write clear, honest, and effective prose.
About the Instructor:
Josh has been a professional writer since 1982. He’s coauthored three books on business strategy, including the bestseller Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies (HBR Press, 2008). Josh says: I’m passionate about clear, brief, fascinating communication.
For 20 years at Forrester Research, I wrote and edited reports on the future of technology. I learned to do kickass analysis of business strategy, then taught others to do so. In my last five years there, as Senior Vice President, Idea Development, I identified, developed, and promoted Forrester’s most powerful and influential ideas. I gave hundreds of speeches around the world, got quoted in every news source you can name, and gave strategy advice to countless clients from the world’s largest companies and tech vendors. I also created Technographics, the segmentation that launched Forrester’s highly successful consumer survey business
I currently blog about writing and clear communication at withoutbullshit.com. My blog generated 400,000 views in its first two months. My post “10 top writing tips and the psychology behind them” was shared more than 20,000 times. My next book, Writing Without Bullshit, will publish in 2016.
Want to submit your own event? Create an account here